Friday, June 4, 2010

So, this is winter...

It seems that the winter season is dawning in Mauritius. I, personally, couldn't be happier. So far it's like an extended spring or autumn back home. In Missouri, it seems that those seasons never last long enough. There are only a handful of days when you can comfortably open the windows and enjoy the air outside... It either starts getting too cold too quickly, or getting too warm even more quickly. Here in Mauritius, I am able to leave the windows open if I please, or close them if I want, and not feel suffocated...

I find myself wearing shorts and flip flops to the store and when I get home, I'm not sweating. It's incredible! In the evenings, it's cooling down enough that if I open the windows, I can even wear long pajama pants! I love it!

Ironically, the dress code for this time of year is as varied as the religions recognized on this island. In the same glance down the street you can see people in flip flops, shorts and tank tops and others in coats, stocking caps and boots. (I am not exaggerating) I have to wonder to myself how the people in coats and hats are not just dying!

I guess it's just another quirk of this country that is becoming my home...

The coming of winter is a welcome site to me. It makes the unfamiliar seem more familiar... I don't think I'll ever have a use for all of my old winter stuff (unless I am visiting another country), but at least I delight in a light sweater on a cool evening, and for now, that's enough to make me smile...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

no snow, but nice cool temperature

arcticfox said...

Katie,

I stumbled across your blog recently and have found it so fascinating to read about your life in Mauritius. You are so lucky! :o)

How often are you able to fly back to the states? I can't even imagine how long the trip from Mauritius to Michigan is. :p I live in Anchorage, Alaska and just going down to visit my mom in Florida drains me.

I can't wait until you're able to write more.

Until then~ take care! :O)

arcticfox said...

Oh, p.s. my name is sherry. :o)

arcticfox said...

Uh oh. Correction!!! :-O

You're from Missouri, not Michigan.

Sorry 'bout that. At least I got the "M" right. ;o)

katiecutehair said...

Hi Sherry,

Nice to hear from you. :-)

Mauritius is a long way from Anchorage, that's for sure! A former roommate and friend of mine moved to Fairbanks for 3 years. I can't imagine the cold up there. Wow!

I just moved to Mauritius in December and haven't yet been home. I am hoping to make a trip on alternate years. The distance and cost make it difficult. On our way here, we flew from Kansas City to Houston, then Houston to Dubai and finall Dubai to Mauritius. The Houston to Dubai flight was 16 hours and certainly the longest consecutive time I've been on a plane. Remarkably it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Over the past few years I've spent a remarkable amount of time on an airplane.

I'm glad your enjoying the blog!

arcticfox said...

~Katie~

Thank you so much for the response! :o)

Wow.. that Houston > Dubai flight sounds keeeey-crazy long!

You know that your readers have a kazillion questions they'd love to ask you, right? ;o) You should keep a journal and eventually write a book!!!

Speaking of questions.. Are there really tons of geckos there, or is that just a touristy rumor? I read a review somewhere where a lady was dinging her hoity-toity hotel (I think she was in Port Louis?) because she didn't think for the $$ she paid, she should have geckos in her room.

I had to laugh because if it were me, I'd be happy they were in there on "skeeter patrol"! Besides, who doesn't like geckos?

Have you seen the mountains at Curepipe yet? That mountain terrain in that area looks so incredibly unique! :-O

I'll bet you can't wait until your house is built. Do you guys have a dog, cat or other pet?

Ok.. I won't bother you with more questions (for now) ;o).

Thanks again for giving us a glimpse of life in Mauritius! xoxo ~~ :O)

katiecutehair said...

Questions are most certainly welcome. :-)

There are a lot of little lizzards running around here. My in-laws live on the edge of a sugar cane field and they always have them running around. We don't have so many living in town. I think we've only seen 2 or 3. They are harmless, but they do leave little lizard tracks so we aren't particularly fond of having them around.

Similarly, here in town, we don't have quite as many mosquitos (thank goodness) but my in-laws have tons. I have to wear long pants and socks at their house, even in summer or I get eaten up like crazy.

I think it's pretty funny that someone staying in a hotel was upset because she paid a lot and had a lizard in her room. The lizards were here first lady... :-)

We are really anxious to get our house done, but the flat we are living is is really comfortable and has a great location, so I'm not breaking ground myself... We got permission from one of the legal authorities so that we can continue to proceed with our building permit. Things are moving, but at a Mauritian pace.

The mountains here are beautiful and what is great is that they are kind of everywhere. When you are driving on the motorway you can spot them in all directions.

Mauritius really is a beautiful island... Especially when you get out of town and drive on some of the coastal roads.

We don't have any pets. I am allergic and my husband and I don't agree on pets. He thinks they should be strictly outdoors and if I have a pet, I want them to be clean enough to pet and play with indoors. However, his parents have two dogs and a tortoise that we get to visit...

Hope that gives you some more insight!