Monday, December 21, 2009

A long time coming

I know that it's been forever since I have written. What can I say? Getting married got me a little busy. Now the dust is beginning to settle in my new home. I suppose I'm gonna try to do this blogging thing more regularly. Perhaps I can get some motivation from fellow bloggers who do a better job. In fact, I am recently inspired by the movie, "Julie and Julia" that I watched on the plane ride here. In addition, I stumbled across the blog of another expat living in Mauritius. She is from Minnesota and though I know nothing about her, I enjoy reading what she has to say. I can certainly understand her "American" view of things. :-)

With that said, here I go... So far, we have mostly gotten our apartment settled. There are still a few small things here and there, but nothing we can't live without... We also have the ever present list of "like to haves". These are the things we can't justify spending money on right now, but we'll keep them on the list until we either decide we truly don't need them, or simply don't want them anymore. Only the most lucky items will ultimately be acquired...

Right now I am working from the hubby's parents house. It will take a couple of weeks to get the phone and Internet lines transferred to our flat. The fact that it's Christmas time doesn't help either, because people will be on holiday. Not to mention speed in customer service isn't a priority here, so they will get to it when they get to it... Tonight we are going to discuss acquiring mobile broadband to allow me to work from home sooner and also to keep as a back up for days when the electricity goes out. No electricity = no modem = no internet. Ah, the joys of island living.

In an unrelated topic, Christmas is on Friday. How can that be? I'm wearing shorts and flip flops... I guess the closest thing to a White Christmas that I will be having will be the one I share with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. I won't be eating turkey or stuffing, likely instead I will be eating curry or biryani... But I am convinced that after Jesus, I've gotten the best gift... a truly wonderful husband. I don't mind giving up snow and turkey if it means being with someone who truly loves me. I wouldn't trade him for all the stuffing or crescent rolls in the world. :-)

Okay... the randomness is over. Merry Christmas

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yay! You are back to the blogosphere. :) Though I must say I have been a blog slacker as of late. :)

I love hearing about your life. :)

Love you!

Debbie said...

Every blog needs FANS, just like in JULIA/JULIE--I will be one of the MANY FANS!! (I can't remember the funny name she calls them--well, whatever it was, THAT will be ME!!)

Keep it coming--loving hearing about your life now!

We miss you, but we know you're in good hands! (Yvan and GOD!!)

Love ya, Sweetie--MERRY MERRY!! :)

MN Pilgrim said...

Happy Holidays!
I found your blog and will check in to see how your new life unfolds. Get ready for an adventure!