Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Coins, Coke, and Customs

So first of all, let me just say that coins are such a hassle. I am faced again with the challenge of learning new currency, including coins. It didn't take me long to learn the British coins and notes, but Mauritius is posing a new challenge. I believe that there are 8 Mauritian rupee coins... In addition, there are many notes to keep track of. I know that in time, I will get this all sorted, but it's a bit overwhelming right now. While it is tempting to use my debit card everywhere, I feel the need to settle in and make this home. I need to learn my new country and I am sure that rupee by rupee, I will.

Coke- so in Mauritius during September and following the Coca-Cola plant had some issues with the machine that put the cap on the bottle. This made the bottles virtually impossible to open. I remember being here in September and struggling with more than one bottle of Diet Coke. I am glad to report that this is no longer the case. I think all of these bad bottles have been consumed and now we are back to easy opening pleasure...

I have had lots of random thoughts pass through my head in recent days and I have thought... I should blog about that. Somehow these thoughts are not nearly as interesting as they were days ago. :S

Next topic, customs... To my delight, I received the items that I shipped from London yesterday. It was like Christmas opening the bags and boxes and remembering the things I owned. I held up a dress and said, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that one." There are several things I had been anxious to get, but the other things are an added delight. I guess you don't realize how much you like your stuff until you have to go without it... But you also realize what you could have lived without.

Finally I will comment on the climate. I have to say that overall, I am pleased with the climate here. Don't get me wrong, I get hot frequently and am mopping sweat off myself more often than I'd like to admit, but the moderation of it is so pleasant. The funny thing is that to people here a 10 degree change in temperature calls for a new wardrobe. Today was a rainy day here and as I took my daily walk to the grocery store, I got more than the usual number of looks. Now, being that I am Caucasian in a non-Caucasian country gets me a fair share of looks, but evidently wearing shorts when it's 70 degrees will get you even more. All of the locals in their jeans and jackets looked at me as if they thought I were going to freeze to death. Not to mention, get a cold for not being more covered up... This made me smile. To me, this weather is a delight... Certainly not anywhere near cold...

In addition today I noticed that there is a school on the way to the local grocery store. It is a private school with lots of white kids, so I am guessing it might be a French school. The funny thing is that it was raining as I was walking and all of the kids were outside playing. Because it rains here so frequently if there were no outdoor recess in the rain, you'd hardly ever get to be outside, but it just makes you reconsider what you are used to...

Well, that's enough for today... If you are in America, eat a taco, a hamburger or an Oreo for me... I will eat another pineapple for you. :-)

6 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

How about I eat some quaker oat squares for you?

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying the blog, keep it up. You mentioned a book you were reading a couple of weeks ago and how it had simplified recipies, what book is it?

katiecutehair said...

Sarah, you are more than welcome to eat a quaker oat square for me... and regarding the book that simplied recipes... I don't remember writing about this... I wish that I coudl find one. :-)

Becky said...

I will eat bacon and a Reese egg for you. :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog, by the way the school you talked about is called Lycée Labourdonnais and it was my high school.

katiecutehair said...

Thanks for letting me know what school it is. :-) I must admit that I am rather jealous of their track... I wish they would let me jog on it in the morning.