Friday, January 29, 2010

Oh the grocery store

So, as I have written before, I generally walk to the store each day to get groceries. We have a small refrigerator, so it doesn't do to buy in bulk, not to mention it gets me out of the house and gives me something to do on my lunch break...

What is interesting to me about the grocery store is that the stock changes rapidly and randomly. The worst part was coming at Christmas time and beginning my shopping then. I have since discovered that at Christmas time a lot of stores sell items that they don't sell the rest of the year. So, I have learned that just because you saw it there once, doesn't mean that they actually "carry" that item.

Sometimes I go to the store and they are simply out of the item that I am looking for. Again, holidays are the worst. Like I have written before, there are lots of religions here, and as a result, there are lots of holidays and religious festivals. This means that you need to get your shopping done early. (This is something I have learned) If you don't, you might find that the store is completely out of bread, or tomatoes or onions or dare I say it, Diet Coke! And I don't mean that they don't have the brand you prefer, I mean completely out. Not one in sight. Not even a dented, dingy, icky looking thing to be scrapped over. (Not even a Diet Pepsi)

When you find yourself in this situation there are three options... 1. You choose to do without the item you went searching for. 2. You come up with a clever substitution of something similar that will do the trick. 3. You call your husband and ask him sweetly to stop somewhere on the way home and pick up the item you desire... If you are as lucky as I am, you can usually count on number 3. :-)

It's these little adjustments to life that keep me on my toes. I have to admit that though I am sometimes briefly annoyed, I tend to follow up with a quick chuckle to myself...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhh...the lavish life you lead :) Glad to see you blogging again. When I see you have posted I look forward to see what adventure you have encountered. Love you sis!