Monday, February 8, 2010

Tomatoes, Lettuce, Taco Seasoning and My Fellow Americans

Sorry I have been a little slack on the blogging. Life this past week was even busier than usual... If that's possible. Work has been really busy as we close in on a deadline and that means longer hours etc.

So... this weekend I made my menu as usual on Friday and then headed to the store to get my ingredients. Much to my dismay, they were out of two key things. Lettuce and tomatoes. Stink. How am I going to make my salad for lunch on Saturday? Well, I decided that when my hubby got home from work, I would ask him to take me to another grocery store to find these key ingredients. Two stores later, and still no lettuce or tomatoes to be found. What's up with that? Luckily it all worked out because on Saturday we had to stop at the store for something else. I decided to take my chances and look again for lettuce and tomato. Hurray! Lettuce was in stock. The tomatoes on the other hand had returned, but they were not yet ripe, so I decided to go without. At any rate, these are the things you run into living on a small island. Who knew?

On Sunday, I had to run into "Shoprite" to get some bread and strawberry jam for breakfast. It is a South African grocery store. While I was there, I was walking down the aisle toward the jam. That's when it happened. On my left, I saw boxes of macaroni and cheese. This is NOT something you could find in the normal, local grocery stores, and it made me smile. It wasn't Kraft, but it was mac and cheese. Then next to it was a gift from God. A strange box caught my eye. On the front of the box was a beautiful picture of nachos. Can you believe that? Nachos! You don't have to be a geographical genius to realize that Mexico isn't exactly close to Mauritius. Up until now, all of my hopes for Mexican food had been pinned on boxes from loved ones in America. I took a closer look at the box to realize that these were tortilla chips. Well, needless to say, they had to come home with me. I absolutely adore Mexican food and will willingly take anything I can get. Then as an added blessing from the Lord I looked a little further and found... TACO SEASONING!!! And what's better? It's imported from the U.S. Made in Texas. Let me explain the significance of that real quick. When I was in England, I found taco seasoning. It was produced in England. England and Mexico are not close together. English people don't know how Mexican food is meant to taste. This taco seasoning was not good. End of. So, I am really anxious to try my Texan taco seasoning. It might save me from my cravings and leave me free from my Mexican rationing system that is currently in place. I'll keep you up to date on all of that...

Also on Sunday, I had the opportunity of going to a meeting for YWAM. Youth With a Mission. They were commissioning a new discipleship training group. It was cool to be a part of this, but in addition, I met some new people. First I met a lady from Australia. I am always happy to meet fellow English speakers, so we had a nice chat. She invited me to a ladies bible study on Thursday mornings, but unfortunately work will keep me from going. Perhaps sometime if I take a day off work, I can go and meet more English speakers. In addition, I met fellow Americans. What is cooler is that these a people I have been meaning to look up. Essentially, they are from Springfield, MO as well. They are friends of friends of mine. Can you believe that? What a small world.

All in all, it was a really good weekend. I am looking forward to getting to know some of these people better, but am really blessed that God's got all of the people.

Now... with that said, I want those of you in America who are reading this to know that you WILL NOT and CAN NOT be replaced. I don't believe I will ever have relationships as deep and full as the ones I share with you. You are so very precious to me and even though our contact is much more limited, I still love you with all my heart.

Guess that's all for now... so until my next rambling, I'm off

2 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

"God's got all the people" takes on a new dimension. :) Love you dearie. Thanks that I can always count on you for a middle of the night chat!

Anonymous said...

Have you try Dewa’s dholl puri in Arab town, Rose Hill? The best!!