This weekend two holidays were observed in Mauritius... Friday was a Hindu holiday honoring another one of their gods. Interstingly with this holiday, the Hindu people make a pilgrimage to Grand Bassin here in Mauritius. It is believed that this body of water is holy, like the water in the Ghanges river. So, they all make their pilgrimage to this place and collect water that they will pour out on their god when they return from their pilgrimage. Many of them travel in groups and some carry floats with representations of their gods. Some crash symbols or play music. Some they chant as they go. Many of them travel by foot and if you live here you will notice more police on the roads monitoring traffic, etc in order to keep people safe. Living where I do, I got to hear and see many of these pilgrims as they passed by.
Sunday marked the Chinese New Year, another official holiday here in Mauritius. I heard several neighbors shoot off their fireworks at midnight with hopes to rid their homes of evil spirits and bring them prosperity in the year.
I don't really have any great stories or experiences to share regarding these things, they are just more observations that I am making as I go along.
1 comment:
I think there's another holiday in Mauritius coming this May where best chefs in the world will gather.
Post a Comment