Wednesday, October 20, 2010

India Continued... Food and Toilets

It’s funny to me that I used to really dislike Indian food. I can remember a visit to an Indian restaurant in Kansas City with friends, where I literally cried in the bathroom because I was spending a lot of money on food I didn’t like, and didn’t want to eat. (There were other stress factors involved) Nevertheless, Indian food has become one of my favorites. I guess it’s true what they say… Your taste buds do change over time. Good thing!

Well, you have heard about my first day in India, but I believe the only food I mentioned were the cumin seed cookies. At the office here, they usually have a caterer who brings in lunch for the office. However, they order something special for me because they think that the food they eat will be too spicy. I’d like to try it, but don’t want to burn my tongue off, or get a tummy bug, so I will stick to what they serve. The past two days for lunch, I have had grilled sandwiches and chips. One thing I have found intriguing in all of my travels is that potato chip flavors vary depending on location. The same is true here. There is actually a masala flavored chip here. It is available at the hotel, but they usually choose a tomato chutney flavored chip for me here at the office. Perhaps they think the masala chips would be too spicy as well… The chutney chips taste a bit like ketchup… Anyway. My ketchup flavored chips are served with two sandwiches. One is a chicken tikka sandwich where the chicken is red colored. It is really yummy. I believe the other is chicken as well, but I am not positive. They are both cooked on a Panini type grill to be toasted and both taste pretty nice. However the best thing is that they serve it with a Diet Coke. Ahh… Diet Coke. I love that wherever I go, I can always find this bit of comfort.

For supper on Monday night, I ate at the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. Interestingly enough, they serve both Thai and Chinese food. I opted for Thai green curry. It was really good. I don’t really have anything unique to say about it, because it tasted like Thai curry that I have had in other places as well. Last night, I went to the Indian restaurant at the hotel. There I had the Mulligatwany soup, kadhai murgh and some garlic naan. Everything was delicious. I will likely be heading back to that restaurant before I leave… Tonight I am planning to try the Oriyan restaurant at the hotel. It serves dishes that are unique to this state (region) of India.

Now for the bathrooms… Don’t worry, I don’t have any bad toilet stories to tell you or any digestive havocs to report, but I think I should give you a heads up. If you are a lady travelling in India, you will want to bring a few things with you. 1. Always bring tissue. Either toilet tissue or face tissue. Just bring something. Not all bathrooms supply this. 2. Practice your squatty potty. Go out in the woods, find a tree and practice your stance. Although not all toilets here are squatties, there are a fair number of them and you don’t want to have to figure them out on the fly… 3. Bring hand sanitizer. Not all bathrooms have a place to wash your hands. If they do have a sink, they may or may not have running water, and the water itself may be questionable. 4. Mind the water on the floor. This is the fun part. Frequently the toilets here have hoses so that you can hose off any bit of you that you deem necessary. I will stop the description there. Anyway… Sometimes this water finds its way to the floor, leaving a messy puddle around the toilet itself. I find it advisable to lift your pant legs when approaching said toilets to avoid getting the bottoms wet. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to have mystery liquid on the bottom of my pants… Enough said. Finally ladies, practice “the stance” with your pant legs pulled up and you should be good to go for any bathroom you face or better yet, wear a skirt. They are much more forgiving. The final option is to just hold it and wait until you get back to the hotel. In some cases, this is the preferred option.

No comments: