Friday, November 19, 2010

Reflections on Autumn

Back in the U.S. it is autumn. While this is not my first year to be away from the U.S. at Thanksgiving time, this is the first year I have spent this time of year in a place where no leaves fall and the weather only warms up instead of becoming frosty.

I read Facebook posts about all of the delightful things I remember about autumn. The shortening of days. Pumpkin spice lattes. The crispness that finds it's way into the morning air. Part of my heart aches for those familiar things. On the other hand, I recognize all of the things that I'm not missing...

I was thinking this morning about the consumerism of the Western holiday season. I remember that this time of the year is so busy. First it's Thanksgiving and all of the cooking and food followed by shopping. Then it's holiday parties and programs from schools and churches. So many things going on and let's not forget, more food and shopping. Everyone wants to look nice for the parties and events so new outfits are purchased or put together... Everyone wants to impress with their Christmas letters and family portraits. Everyone wants the 'perfect' Christmas. (Think Clark Griswold here)

There is a part of me that again longs for the familiarity in all of this, but the more practical, less emotional side of me thinks of how much better it is to be where I am. Here, Thanksgiving doesn't exist. There isn't a day of watching parades and football and spending time with relatives you intentionally avoid every other day of the year. There isn't the big rush to go out and buy the newest gadget or must have gift. There are no bombardments of sentimental commercials about coffee... No commercials advertising the must have items for the season. (You can only imagine how much money that will save us in the long run...) In fact, you won't even know that Christmas is coming for about another full month in Mauritius. You will begin to find scrawny, Charlie Brown looking Christmas trees for sale around the 20th of December. (I fully intend to have one this year) But the shopping doesn't really start until Christmas Eve. I find that entirely delightful. The tradition here is that shops stay open late on Christmas Eve. The buses run late and everyone puts their kids to bed and then goes out and does their Christmas shopping. It certainly keeps things a surprise... And if they are all out of that one special item you had your eye on. Don't worry, there is something of equal or lesser value to be found just down the street.

I guess I still have some adjusting to do, espeically regarding holidays. I think this is the time of year that you make most of your family memories and hold close most of your traditions. Perhaps that is why everyone gets so sentimental about the holidays (or in some cases utterly depressed) But here's a toast to new traditions and memories to be found in a land foreign to me. Happy Holidays everyone!

8 comments:

ÅnGe|e said...

I feel you. In another month it will be Christmas and at that time of the year, I always have bittersweet memories. I miss white Christmas, midnight mass and the holiday spirit in the huge shopping malls. I am Mauritian but I've been spending some time in Canada and somehow part of my heart stayed there when I came back to Mauritius.
Honestly, the holiday season is boring in Mauritius. But I guess, no matter in what part of the world we are, at that very special time of the year, the most important thing is the christmas spirit and to be with the people we cherish the most.

katiecutehair said...

Hi there,

It's great to hear from you. :-)
I don't know that the holiday season is boring in Mauritius, but given that it isn't a "Christian" country, the Christmas season certainly doesn't have the same feeling. I think you are right though. Christmas is really what happens in your heart and because of that, it's going to be a Merry Christmas as my house and hopefully at yours too!

arcticfox said...

Hi Katie!

Wow~ I read your post from your last trip to England and that 8.5 layover in Dubai is something else! :-O

Hey.. Have you received your invitation to William & Kate's big wedding yet? ;0) (LOL! just kidding!)

To AnGele: If you pop back in again, I can send you tons of snow from Anchorage! :O) (Well.. in a few days anyhow. It warmed up here big time and the 1.5' of snow we had on the ground has mostly melted and we're in the middle of an ucky ice storm.) We'll probably be back to snow though within a few days..

Katie~ do any of the transplanted Americans there cook turkey on Thanksgiving?

Hope that your November is going well in beautiful Mauritius. And you're right Katie ~~ Christmas really is what happens in your heart.

Talk to you later ~ Sherry

arcticfox said...

Oops~

Correction.. That lengthy layover of yours I mentioned was from your Mauritius --> India trip, not Mauritius --> England.

Did you take any pictures? :O)

katiecutehair said...

Hi Sherry-

The layover in Dubai was a bummer, but the good thing was that I had enough frequent flyer miles to hang out in the Emirates lounge. And, ultimately I made it to my destination. I am just SO glad to be home!

I would love to have a bit of your snow... Today the temperature in my office is showing 75 degrees with about 75% humidity and lots of sun. :-)

Unfortunately the queen didn't call to tell me about the engagement and I guess she won't be getting a Christmas card from me this year. :-)

I hope that you have a fantastic Thanksgiving! Here it's very difficult to get turkey. You have to order it from a particular grocery store. It's VERY expensive and they turkeys are not very good. I have decided to have an alternative tradition of making chicken enchiladas. They are one of my favorites! I will be making butternut squash pie to keep something traditional. No Libby's canned pumpkin here, so I have to make my own and because we can't get pie pumpkins, butternut squash is the next closest thing.

I do have some pictures from India. I'll have to finish up my comments about the last two days there and then post them.

ÅnGe|e said...

Hey Katie,

I have been quite inactive in the blogosphere and that's why it took me more than a month to pop in here again. *blush*
With the holiday season and everything, I've been quite busy and.. lazy! Hahhah =D

Anyways, hope you had a lovely Christmas. I'm wishing you a very happy new year 2011 =)

ÅnGe|e said...

To arcticfox,

Is the proposal for sending snow still on? I could really use some fresh snow here in Mauritius. The weather is very hot and humid these days and it gets so uncomfortable at times. Snow please!!

arcticfox said...

ÅnGe|e ~ :D Did you get the snow that I mailed you?

Speaking of Canada.. I'm watching Vancouver (hockey) as I type this.

I hope all is well in Mauritius!

~~ Sherry