Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blogging slacker











Wow,








I can't believe it's been a month and a half since I have written anything. I guess you can tell that life has been a bit busy around here...








It's officially summer here in Mauritius and that means it's officially warm. Celebrating Christmas and New Years in shorts and flip flops is definately not what I am used to. It isn't all bad, but it will definatley take some getting used to. Baking holidays goodies just isn't as much fun when your kitchen is about 82 degrees (28 C) before you start.








The holidays here are a bit funny. Christmas decorations do go up, but usually only about a week before Christmas. This year I noticed more festive behavior than last, so hopefully they are getting the hang of it and every year will be better.








New Years tends to be the big event here. At midnight fireworks go off everywhere and for a long time. Good luck trying to sleep. Unless of course, you are my husband. I honestly don't know how he sleeps through that. The other crazy thing is that in Mauritius, the law requires you to be paid a 13th month at the end of the year. So essentially, in December, you get paid doule what you usually get. Interesting idea... The problem is that people go out and spend his money and for some reason the grocery stores don't understand that demand goes up, so if you go to the store on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th of January, you will likely not find much. No bread, no eggs... the produce is all icky and growing mold. You get the picture. And yes, I mean this literally.








Other than that life has just been cruising along. We are making good progress on our house and I think that by the end of the week, they will likely be ready to cast the slab for the first floor. It's amazing to see how quickly they move... Shown here are some pictures of the ground floor with walls up to where the windows begin. I can't wait to have it done!








A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!








I'll try to be more consistent this year. :-)

6 comments:

ÅnGe|e said...

Oh boy I can totally relate to the baking in a kitchen that's almost like an oven! I love to cook and bake but with the hot weather, baking is a real pain in the a**.
2 years ago I made Christmas cookies and I was sweating like a pig while moving around in the kitchen. I wanted to bake some sugar cookies again last Christmas but it was too hot and in the end, I didn't even bother!

Is it your first Christmas in Mauritius? I think that New Year's eve is a bigger thing than Christmas in Mauritius. More people tend to celebrate NY's eve here. Hahaha and you should get used to the fireworks and firecrackers. Mauritians light up firecrackers and fireworks for many festivals and the next one around the corner is the Spring festival in February ;)

katiecutehair said...

This was my second Christmas here, but last year, I had just arrived so we didn't have much planned. This year we are planning to travel to the U.S. to see my family and I am really looking forward to that.

I suppose you are right about the fireworks, with Chinese New Year coming, there are sure to be lots of sounds. :-)

Becky said...

Glad you updated your blog. I love reading about your adventures!

arcticfox said...

Hi "blogging slacker Katie" ;) (LOL!)

I was just looking at all those bricks in your photos and wondering how many of them are now in place as you build your house?

Did you travel back to the U.S. yet to see your family? If not, safe travels and have FUN!!

ÅnGe|e ~ I was just reading your message to me on the previous thread about sending some snow to you. I did send it but I heard it melted in-flight somewhere above the Indian Ocean ~ :D (haha)

Snow is finally gone here in Anchorage & it's almost time to get the garden area ready.

Last year I grew lettuce, spinach, kale, radishes, snow peas, climbing beans, cilantro, and several other veggies.. I was getting ready to pick most of it, then decided to wait till the next day.

When I went out the next morning with a big laundry basket to put everything in, a moose had beaten me to it! :0(

I was able to pull up some radishes & carrots and he left most of the beans that were climbing, but just about everything else had been eaten & or stomped to smithereens.. :/

Hopefully this year I beat the moose to the harvest!

~Hope all is going well in Mauritius!!~ Talk to you later.

Sherry :0)

katiecutehair said...

Wow,
I thought I was slacking before, but this might be a new record. Life has been really hectic around here. Work has gone crazy for both my husband and myself and we just find ourselves coming and going.

Hopefully today I can update this blog and let everyone know what's going on. If your lucky, I might even add some pictures of the house progress. It is looking great!

katiecutehair said...

P.S. So sorry to hear about the veggies Sherry. After all of that hard work, to have a moose trounce and eat everything! Yikes.