Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Year

Well, it's a new year and I have been stinking at the blog... I guess I need to get back to it.
I was able to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas back in the U.S. visiting friends and family. It was incredibly refreshing to be back. It was a great time to catch up with people and to enjoy all things American. It was also a wonderful time to announce to everyone that my husband and I are expecting our first little one in May.
I have a feeling there will be some posts this year that relate to being pregnant and having kids overseas. In addition, my husbands parents have moved in with us and so there will possibly also be some posts about adjusting to living with the in-laws.
All things said, I am incredibly blessed.
Coming back to Mauritius has been interesting. It feels like we've been gone for so long. On the other hand, the time went by so fast it feels like we hardly left. I think I forgot some things about the island while I was gone... Thanks to the humidity, most of my husbands suits are moldy and so are the curtains in my living room... We have no hot water to take showers with which isn't necessarily just an island thing, but is an annoyance I was not anticipating. On the other hand, I am enjoying the warmth and the sunshine...
Anyway- I guess I am done rambling for now. Hopefully I'll be better at this blogging thing this year.

2 comments:

arcticfox said...

OMG Katie :-O ... talk about putting EXCITING news in your very first post of 2012.....

...a ♥♥ BABY ♥♥ on the way!!!

~~~~>>>>> Congratulations!!! :0)

I hope the adjustment of having your in-laws move in is going smoothly. Is it a permanent situation or did they move in to assist with the baby? Or both? LOL!

Sounds like you had a great trip to the states during the holidays and I hope you mailed yourself tons of goodies back home! :D

What a bummer about the mold. What's the solution for preventing that from happening? Running an A/C to keep the air dry? Jeez.. heat & humidity is something we only encounter when my hubby & I make trips out of Alaska.. Which hasn't been very often.. although we're planning to remedy that big time in the very near future! :0)

So far anyway the lower-48 states have had an exceptionally mild winter with very little snow.. But up here in Anchorage, completely the opposite. :-O ... Seriously weather man, enough is ENOUGH!!

My husband wakes up at the crack of dawn and cranks up his annoying ((loud)) snowblower so he can plow out the driveway. It took him about 45 minutes this morning to get it all cleared & it snowed another 3" before he got done with it.. haha. I'll have to figure out how to add a link on here one of these days so I can send a few photos..

It will be fun to read your blog as we all await your precious little island baby!

Talk to you later! ~~ Sherry in Anchorage

katiecutehair said...

Hi Sherry,
I am not envious of the work your husband has to do to get the driveway cleared, but I would have liked a little more snow on our visit. We had a light dusting one day, but not even enough to make a snowball. :-) To our relief, it was really mild where we were in Missouri most of our trip. I think it was God having mercy on us...
The inlaws moving in is a permanent thing. A fulfilled promise my husband made to them. They sold their house to pay for his college education and he always told them what when he built a house, he would build a place for them... It is certainly going to be an adjustment for all of us.
The mold thing is a constant summer time battle here. Unfortunately we, like 90 plus percent of the population don't have air conditioning. We crank up the de-humidifier and do lots of laundry... Just part of island living (unfortuantely, they don't put that in the pretty brochures for tourists).
Hope you guys stay warm and get so relief from all the snow. Happy wintering!