Friday, February 3, 2012

Ranting...

Well, it's summer time. The beginning of the year. And we have lots of holidays... I have to admit that having an extra day off every week is nice and something I could easily get used to. This week our island celebrated the Abolition of Slavery on the first of February. I think it's a great thing to celebrate. However, when I look around me, I wonder how far we have really come.
I realize that this blog is coming from a very Western mindset. I am, after all, American. But, when I look around I feel like we are seriously lacking in progress. We don't have indentured slaves anymore. At least, not on the surface. But many people here are living lives of merely surviving...
I heard a statistic this morning that is still resonating in my mind. Less than 9% of the population of this island makes more than 25,000 Rupees per month. (That includes me) If you do the math, that is just under 900 dollars a month. Now, of that 91% remaining, I would recon most aren't making an amount close to 25,000 Rs/month. They may be earning half of that, or even less. I understand by African standards, that Mauritius is doing relatively well and I appreciate that, but I can help that feel that Mauritians are still being exploited.
Now, a lot of people reading this might think that the economy here must just cost less, so making around 900 dollars a month must be pretty good right? Well, maybe not... Depending on where you live on the island, rent for nice property is going to be at least half of your monthly income. You likely cannot afford to have a car of your own, so you probably ride the bus, or if you are lucky you might have a motorbike or have someone in your family who owns a car and can give you a ride. If you do have a car, you may have about 4,000 Rs/ month in fuel costs not to mention a car payment and insurance. So, if I am being generous, you may have about 10,000 rupees left. Now, of the 91% we had left, I would guess most aren't making 25,000 rupees, they are making less, so your money is probably already used up and you haven't bought groceries or clothes or anything else you and your family might need. If you don't have a car, you get that money back. Great! Now you can pay for public transportation and food.
Food costs depend on where you get your food. Do you buy it from the grocery store, or from the local fair (market). If you get it from the market, you might save yourself some money, but only if you are local and can speak Creole. Otherwise, you get totally ripped off. (That's a whole other blog) I could continue carrying out this little excercise, but the reality is... at the end of the day, there is nothing left.
My husband and I have noticed that this year, we have seen with our eyes the literal change in buying power. Usually the last weekend of the month is crazy busy. This is the weekend people get paid, so usually the stores and shops are all busy. Parking cannot be found. It's the perfect weekend to go to the beach... Last weekend when my husband and I were out, it was like being in a ghost town. The only lines were at the bank where people were getting money from the ATM's, however, it's unclear where they went to spend it. The grocery stores were not packed as usual. Restaurants were empty... It was kind of creapy...
So, now I am getting long winded... Sorry about that.
I guess this is just a rant (maybe even to myself) about two things.
1. Always be thankful for what you have. Without notice it can all be taken away. Even if you feel like you don't have anything, when it's gone, you will realize you were wrong.
2. It's easy to exploit people. Whether you are doing it legally by paying them small amounts when you know they should be earning more, or whether you are doing it illegally by forcing them to serve you without pay, people have been getting away with it for centuries.
I have so much more to say, but lack the ability to express myself. I blame it on baby brain... Anyway. Just some things I've been thinking and ranting about lately.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a Mauritian I have to thank you for this post,because a lot of expat does not get how hard life is for Mauritian. Im myself married to a foreigner, we are back from europe since couple of month and we have noticed how our buying powers is even lower than when we left.