So, as you can tell, this is going to be an eclectic blog... These are all topics running through my mind today.
It seems that though the nausea of my first trimester has passed, it has come back to haunt me in the 3rd trimester. What is up with that? Seriously? As if waking up 3 times every night to pee in the middle of the night weren't enough, I am now haunted (once again) by the constant feeling of wanting to puke... To make matters worse, I have my in-laws making sounds and smells that would make a healthy person lurch... First, the smell of curry. Since I got pregnant, I can stand the smell of curry. But it's on the menu a couple of times a week here, so like it or not, I get to smell it. Then smell it again when they eat the leftovers. Yuck! In addition to which after said meals are done, I get to hear belching (not burping) belching that makes you think someone has thrown up said curry somewhere downstairs. It's really disgusting. Add on top of that the smell of cigarette smoke, which I detest. Can I move out now???
Next the topic of cyclones... I experienced my first cyclone in Mauritius this weekend. I have to say, it was kind of a let down. Saturday morning we were under a warning class 2, which got upgraded to a 3 at about 4 pm. Class 3 means that all business close and if you are driving around in your car and something happens, insurance won't cover you. It's the most severe warning level. Essentially, in the end, the cyclone just passed by the island and didn't hit us. We had some extra wind and rain, but nothing worth writing home about. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to see mass devastation or destruction, but there was nothing worth all of the hype.
Finally, small talk... I could probably write a whole blog just about small talk. To sum it up... I hate it. I mean, what's the point? Small talk is essentially two people exchanging meaningless dialogue when the reality is neither person really cares... Good morning, how are you? Well, I am assuming that because you are not in a bed somewhere, you are fine. I can see you visually, but don't really need to acknowledge your presence with words. Can't a nod suffice? Maybe this makes me an unfriendly and unpleasant person... Maybe I am just pregnant and constantly nauseous and when you ask me now I am, I don't really have the freedom to rant about how I want to puke on you or explain the curry smells and belching. If I did, would you really want to know how I was? Didn't think so... Then you have the small talk that is awkward because you are left alone with a person and the "polite" thing to do is to say something. Well, again the reality is that the two of you didn't want to talk in the first place, you are just left in an uncomfortable position and feel obligated to break the silence. Can't you just both smile and walk away as an acknowledgement that you are uncomfortable and want to leave? Let's be real here people... And finally, you have the schmoozers who make small talk with you because that is their job, or what they are supposed to do. You know, the people who roam the crowd and try to make other people feel comfortable. Well, to tell you honestly, I'd be a lot more comfortable if I could just sit here by myself and get on with things... Again, writing this possibly shows you what a horrible person I am, but I am just not down with the small talk. If you have something to say, get on with it and let's not do the chit-chatty thing.
1 comment:
I know you're busy with everything, but when the baby is born I hope you're able to pop in with the news! :0)
Did you father-in-law ever find a hobby to keep him busy? ;)
Maybe you can order some assorted veggie seeds and have him start a garden in the yard? We have a super short growing season here, but if you heave a few seeds out, they go crazy... I usually just grow spinach, cilantro, sweet peas, kale & radishes. You'd need a greenhouse here for tomatoes.. :P
I hope all is going well as you enter the final stretch! Can't wait to hear about the baby~ ♡
Sherry
Post a Comment