Tuesday, July 8, 2008
That's England...
So, yesterday I exited the train on my way home and made my way up the stairs and across the footbridge to the station exit like I do every other day. Nothing was extra-ordinary. As I continued to walk, a few sprinkles of rain began to fall. No big deal, I thought. This is England, it's bound to drip a bit every now and then. I trudged on not giving it a moments thought. A few moments later it started to get a bit heavier and so I decided to pull my umbrella (which I ALWAYS carry) out of the side pocket of my back pack and walk under it's cover. No problem... I then decided that it would be nice to listen to some music and so I pulled out my little Ipod Shuffle and commenced getting it into place. So picture if you will, that one hand has the umbrella in it, and the other is holding my purse and trying to arrange my Ipod. Not that big of a deal, until out of nowhere comes that rain of Noah. I kid you not, the skies opened up and water began to pour from them. I have not seen this kind of rain since I have been in England. Biblical proportions... Because of my experience here to this point, I assumed that this rain would quickly pass or lighten up at least and so with my Ipod in place and umbrella overhead, I continued to walk home. The rain is falling at such intensity and such an angle that I begin to question why I am carrying the umbrella at all, but I figure that at least I am making an effort right? At this point things are becoming a bit miserable... then much to my torment, all of the cars that pass me spray me from head to toe with the water of the nearby puddle. It's almost comical. Something straight out of a movie... Interestingly enough, the cars manage to dodge the next puddle and leave the pedestrian in front of me perfectly unmolested... Never the less, I continued to trudge on. Inevitably at this point, I have to cross a low point in the street that is unpardonably flooded. (To this I have to add, that knowing the climate of England, you would think the Brits would have developed a better drainage system by now) Anyway- I carefully planned my route around the massive flooded puddle only to realize that mud surrounds it on every side and I will really save myself nothing by trying to muck around it. So, emerging from the puddle, I find myself completely dripping in spite of my umbrella, and now my shoes squish with every step... How lovely. Finally, I see it, the street entrance to my neighborhood... I walk through the partitions that keep cars out and you make my way toward my building when I feel my foot slide just a smidgen. (You know that slide where you are pretty sure your gonna bite it?) That's the one. By the grace of God I recover my footing and remain upright. I stumble in the door wet and a little irritated, but at least I'm home. I began to peel off the layers of soaked clothing. Finally, when pull of the last wet thing, all the while thinking "How in the world did that get so wet?"... I realize- That's England :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
LOL! Thanks for sharing. I can just picture where you were. Poor thing!
So what you are saying sis it that we should not forget our umbrellas? :)
Welcome to the life of a pedestrian! I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time. Now you know why trechcoats are so popular over there.
Post a Comment