Monday, March 1, 2010

Another weekend...
















So... On Friday, I finally received the paperwork for my residency permit. For some reason I had to submit two passport size photos along with all of my paperwork. In return, I get a piece of paper saying that I can stay here. Oh wait, I forgot, it has a blue stamp that makes it official. I was expecting something a little more "official" than that... Along with that "official letter", I got another official document informing me that I have 14 days to register as an alien. This means that I have to go to the police station, give them 3 passport size pictures of myself and 12.10 Rupees. (About the equivalent of 37 cents) Once that is done, I'm able to live here. After 3 or 4 years (I can't remember) I can apply for citizenship as a citizens wife and live as a dual citizen both of America and Mauritius. So that's that.

On Saturday, Yvan and I went to Casela, nature reserve/animal park. It was one of the most put together tourist venues I have been to on the island. I was actually kind of impressed. In fact, I'd even like to go back sometime... One of the cool experiences was the mini safari. I actually got to pet zebras and an antelope. In addition, we got to see wallabies, and a chicken with socks on... at least that's how it looks. :-) We had a really great time on our little outing...

Last night, we were supposed to have dinner with the in-laws and some cousins. Everyone was told to arrive at my in-laws house at 18:00 (6 pm). My hubby and I arrived at 6:05 and thanks to island time, we were not late. In fact, the next guests arrived at 6:15. I think that this is still acceptable for islanders. Unfortunately, the last guests didn't arrive until 8:45. No joke. That's nearly 3 hours late! In the mean time, I was sweating to death and being offered as a human sacrifice to the mosquitoes. Finally, when everyone arrived, we left for the restaurant we were meant to eat at. Our original reservation was at 7, we arrived at 9. Luckily, they set a table for us and served us our meal...

We finally rolled home a little after 11 and headed straight for bed. When you get up at 4:45 am, you don't stay up late...

Once again, I find myself with a sigh and a smile recalling the events of another weekend. Perhaps eventually I will get used to island time. Perhaps some day the bugs will stop eating me like candy. But whether or not these things happen, one thing is for certain. I will be registered as an alien, and an alien I will be.

3 comments:

Minnesota Pilgrim said...

Oh Katie. This post had me laughing out loud. In fact, I am still giggling. I had the EXACT same reaction about Casela and I bet you will be going back there with every person that comes to visit you here. Let's just say, the guys that work in the lion and cheetah areas recognize me, now, due to my many, frequent visits with different family and friends. And you will ALWAYS be a tasty treat to the mosquitoes. Invest in many bottles of bug spray and make it a daily habit just like showering. You and your hubby make a cute couple. And never underestimate the importance of a good rubber stamp. ;)

katiecutehair said...

Casela is a must on the list of place to take visitors when they come. On the other hand, don't even bother with the water park... (Lesson learned) I suppose I just need to give in and start wearing vape mats around my neck, but I just don't like the greasy feeling of bug spray. Perhaps some Skin So Soft is in order. And by all means, you are right. A good rubber stamp can go a LONG way in this country. :-)

Anonymous said...

I still see Yvan is getting ready for your pet goat. Love you.