Friday, March 19, 2010

Toleration...

Normally, my blogs are funny stories about things I have experienced living in different places, and I try to keep them light and keep my personal beliefs and worldview to a minimum, but today there's something on my mind. Allow me to share...

About a month ago, I wrote a blog commenting on the mix of religions and cultures that you find here in Mauritius. My comment at the time was that I was impressed at how everyone got along and respected one another, even if there wasn't agreement. Since then, my impression has been altered.

Monday evening, I was having dinner with a group of fellow Christians and heard some disturbing news. Over the weekend there had been a special series of meetings or concerts perhaps (I'm not technically sure which) featuring Johnny Lever. Johnny is a Bollywood star (movie star in India) who became a Christian and now uses his talents to share his experience with others.

During these meetings a group of individuals came and caused damage to some 65 cars of people in attendance. In addition, I believe 2 or 3 people were injured and had to be taken to the hospital.

Obviously, someone does not tolerate Christians...

On one hand this is disturbing and upsetting. On the other hand, it shouldn't come as a surprise and is encouraging. First, the disturbing hand. One can't help but feel badly for those who experienced a loss in this ordeal. Having a car is still a luxury for many Mauritians and to have it damaged can result in quite a loss. In addition, any time specific people are targeted for acts of violence it is disturbing.

But now to evaluate "the other hand"...

First, the Bible tells us that we should expect to have trials in tribulations, but it also tells us to take courage and to be encouraged by these things. John 16:33 says, "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." In the preceeding chapter Jesus tells us (John 15:18-20), "If the world hates you, you konw that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, becuase of this the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept my Word, they will keep yours also."

Second, this is an opportunity for the Christian community to come together and pray for those who are causing the trouble. I am praying that the Lord will be glorified through this and that it will cause people to be drawn to Him! As an example, my husband shared with me that there is a man in our church who used to belong to another religion. He was part of a devout organization associated with this religion and was sent to one of our churches meetings to cause disruption and disorder. Instead, that night, he gave his heart to Jesus and is now an active member of our church. What Satan means for evil, God can turn into good.

Third, this has gotten media attention and is bringing Christianity into "water cooler" conversation. It is providing Christians an opportunity to be recognized and share their faith because others are asking.

In the end, although this situation is unfortunate, it is also a blessing. To me it is a sign of things to come. I feel like the Lord is moving in the island and this incident is evidence that Satan is taking notice. Just like a nest of bees, vipors or other dangerous threats, it won't bother you, if you don't bother it. I say... Let's kick the vipers nest and shake things up. God is at work.

As I sit here and write this, I wonder... Why have we as Christians allowed ourselves to become so comfortable. Jesus tells us that the world will hate us. Do you feel hated? I have to say that sitting in the Bible belt of Missouri, I never felt more loved. I'm not saying this to make anyone feel guilty or make you feel like they need to be more removed from the world. I don't think that's what the Bible indicates either... But I wonder if we have allowed ourselves to be too comforable...

Just a thought for a random Friday afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

i think that the vandalism was due to the fact that the bollywood guy was an indian christian, this is a very rare occurence in Mauritius.

There are hard core indian extremism people in Mauritius (Namely VoH Voice of Hinduism) who won't see in a good light this person and the people supporting him by going to this concert.

They don't really aim for the Christians, they aim to the traitor of their faith.

katiecutehair said...

Thanks for your comment. After reading an article on the newspaper, I came to understand a little more about what you mean. It seems that many people who went to the event weren't aware that it was a Christian event... they just came to see Johnny Leaver. There was a lot of discussion about "forced conversion". I don't feel like that was the purpose of the event. I think those who organized it just wanted everyone to feel welcome to come. I don't believe they were trying to be deceptive... I can understand however, that people can be upset when those they know leave a religion to follow another, but perhaps the extremists need to think about their approach. Violence doesn't really solve anything.