So, it's been two weeks since I have written anything new... Life has been busy and I have had limited connectivity.
Last week, I was in Birmingham, England for work. It was my first visit to Birmingham and I must admit that I like the town. There is a ton of shopping and a couple of my favorite restaurants. What more could a girl want? (I could have used a good hotel).
It was weird being back in England. On one hand it felt as though I was at home. I saw familiar stores and brands. Familiar items greeted me at the grocery store... On the other hand, Birmingham was a new place to me and I had to learn my way around... I had to remember that the people there spoke English and that they could understand me when I asked questions. :-)
Ironically, with all the familiarity that was waiting for me, I felt a little homesick for my island. Who would have ever thought? I certainly was surprised. I guess there is something in the unfamiliar that has become familiar to me... It's something I can't explain. Naturally, I understand that I was missing more than my home. I was also missing my companion. During my time away I realized how much I rely on my husband to help me navigate through the unfamiliar. Here in Mauritius what is unfamiliar to me is just "home" for him. I really appreciate that.
I don't have any interesting stories or experiences to share. Nothing really interesting happened... I worked, ate, and slept. The only notable things from this list are that I got to eat Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Wagamama.... Everything else was just so, so. I got blisters on my feet because there is a big difference between flip flops and high heels... I travelled for a total of 34 hours within a one week span.
That's about it... Hopefully this week will be more interesting.
1 comment:
I enjoyed reading this, as always. Jen and I appreciate your comment on missing Yvan, reminds us of a reverse comment in 2008.:-)
Have a wonder-filled week.
Post a Comment