Friday, April 16, 2010

Ode to Joe...

I realized today that I have had the pleasure of working with two people both named Joe... I also realized that I have a ton of respect for both Joes and that I have learned a lot from working with both of them. Each of them had a very different style, but in the end the work always got done and I always felt satisfied in what I was doing...

The first Joe was my boss at a resort center I worked at on the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I worked there during the summers and on weekends during college. Joe was young and newly married at the time. The job was great because we essentially got to play all day. We worked in adventure recreation and manned a ropes course featuring two rock walls, a cargo net, a large balance beam, and a few other obstacles. I have to admit, even though it was hot work, it was the most fun I've ever had working. Although the work we did required us to be accurate and detailed to make sure that no one got seriously injured, we were able to have fun with people. We were able to see people overcome huge obstacles and fears. It was a really good job.

The big thing that I learned from the first Joe is that you can't take your job too seriously. It's okay to have fun at work. Work is what you do to pay the bills... It's not your life. As long as you get done what you need to get done, it's okay to take a break and enjoy your co-workers and customers. If you aren't having a good time... chances are, they aren't either.

The second Joe that I worked with was at my current job. Unfortunately, he no longer works for our company and that is a huge loss. Joe was my supervisor and mentor for the majority of the time I've been with Duck Creek. One of the things I really liked about Joe is that he took care of his people. He had been where we all were as a developer and didn't allow his resources to get abused. Another thing that I really appreciated about him was that he had a strong sense of justice.

I learned from Joe that it's okay to be bold and stand up for what is right. Sometimes you have to stick your foot in your mouth, but the bad taste that is sometimes left isn't always the result of having a dirty foot. I also learned that you have to have balance and have to protect the things that are important to you. You are your customers main advocate, even if they your enemy. Look out for their best, even if it means you have to sacrifice something. I also learned that selling a shiny new toy doesn't mean anything if you can't deliver it. Setting realistic expectations is one of the most important things you can ever do...

In American English we have a colloquialism... It usually goes something like this. "I wouldn't want just any old Joe Schmoe working on that for me." But I have to say that from my experience, Joes aren't so bad. It seems that the two I've been lucky enough to work with haven't been Schmoes, but rather have been mentors and friends.

The next time you need a hand from someone, don't be afraid to look for a Joe.

No comments: