Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Qu' est-que tu penser?

Over the last few days I have been inspired to work on my French. Hopefully if I can sharpen my French skills I can more easily learn Creole. (At least that's what I'm wishing for) If not, then I could at least watch T.V. in French and understand more of what's going on...

One of the frustrating things is that I have a textbook from college that I could use to review what I already know and could work from there, but that textbook is tucked away in my storage shed in Bolivar. It's not much good to me there.

There are online programs (like BBC) that help you learn languages, but a lot of their content is stuff that I already know. It's only helpful if you are a tourist or if you plan to have most of your conversations with small children...

One of the reasons for this desire is so that I can speak to people here and really make this place my home. I don't want to just be a "visitor" here. I can get by with day to day stuff, but I want to be able to really talk to people and understand them.

I also don't want to be one of those people who just relies on my husband and the fact that most people can understand at least a little English. Those kind of people used to drive me crazy in the U.S. Parents who would make their children help them navigate through society because they didn't know English, but their kids did. I've always said that when you go to a foreign country you should at least make an effort to learn the language and not just expect everyone to accommodate you. And that is what I must do.

I have recently discovered a French tutor who lives in the town that I live in. Her fees are ridiculously reasonable and she comes recommended. I have also discovered that there might be a group of people interested in learning together, which could be fun. I guess we'll see where all of that goes.

At any rate. My goal is to speak French fluently. And I wish myself, "bonne chance". Or good luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

Regina here, for ExpatWomen.com.

I would like to personally invite you to list your blog on our Expat Women Blog Directory (www.expatwomen.com/expatblog/) so that other women can read about and learn from your expat experiences.

Many thanks in advance for your contribution and keep up your great blog!

Regina