Monday, September 27, 2010

Weddings, Barber Shop and Travelling

So... It's been a little while since I have had the time to write something... Sorry for that :-(

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of attending my first Mauritian wedding. Two young people in our church were getting married and we were invited to participate... The first thing I will say about Mauritian weddings is, don't bother to show up on time. The reason being, no one else will either. Now, my husband had been asked to be the "wedding car" for the bride, so he dropped me off at the church and went to pick up Janeesa and her family. No biggie. The wedding is meant to start at 4:30 p.m., so he drops me at the church at 3:45 and arrives at the bride's house at 4. I sat in the church and waited... At around 4:30, the first few members of the choir and band showed up. Around 4:50 the pastor decides to make an appearance. I am sitting in my chair thinking, really? My wedding started at 10:00 a.m. and if you weren't in your seat, you missed it. Anyway... at around 5:15, the bride and groom both arrive at the church. Interestingly enough, many people wait in the parking lot for the bride and groom to arrive and then at the last minute, while the bride and groom and party are lining up, they file into the church. The rest of the wedding was pretty traditional, except that the pastor didn't know the names of the people he was marrying and mispronounced and re-read them about a million times. But it was a nice wedding overall and afterward, we got to share a nice biryani dinner with friends and family.

This weekend, I went for the first time with my husband to get his hair cut. My husband's barber runs his business out of his house. No big deal. The funny thing to me was all of the men who were there to get their hair colored. There were at least 3 sitting with black hair dye during the time we were there. These men were in their 50's, I mean, who are you trying to kid? And the funny thing was that when they came in, they were all grey. People are totally going to notice. Anyway- I got quite a chuckle out of that. Then I told my husband to go grey with grace...

The next month I will be caught in a whirlwind of travel. A week in England, then home for a week, then a week in India, followed by two weeks in England, then finally back home again. Hopefully I will have interesting things to share during those adventures.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I can totally picture you getting a kick out of the hair dye. :) Goo!

Love you! Wish I were traveling with you!