



This past weekend my husband and I spent a weekend away/at home. :-) I splurged for his birthday and treated us to a three night stay at a fancy hotel on the south coast. It was worth every penny...
I now understand why people come to Mauritius and think it is so fantastic. When you see the resorts and hotels that are here, you have to admit that they are wonderful. The service is outstanding, the views breathtaking, it's everything you hope your all inclusive holiday could be. However, I couldn't help but sit back and think of how far from the "REAL" Mauritius this representation is.
Don't get me wrong. Mauritius is a lovely place. It is full of beaches and beautiful sunsets, but the reality for most people that live here is that the beach is a place they got to go to maybe 4 or 5 times a year unless they live super close. There is no way they could afford to go to the private resorts, even at the Mauritian rate that is offered to residents. They don't get to see the fantastic places that the tourists come flocking for.
I feel a bit conflicted over the whole experience. On one hand, I am so thankful for the experience of seeing and doing all we did. We got to eat fantastic food and lounge by the pool all day. We even had time to build a sand castle... It was an amazing weekend. But on the other hand, I feel as though the island is so caught up in self-exploitation that after all the beaches have been trashed by tourist and all of it's natural resources used up, the "REAL" Mauritius will be all that's left. Will anyone pay big money to come and see that? I guess we have to wait and find out.
4 comments:
Well.. I think it's great that you went to the coast and kicked-back there. It only adds to your unique perspective of how varied locations and lifestyles in Mauritius are!!
p.s. Good job on that sandcastle! :O)
Thanks, but I must admit, my husband deserves the credit for the sand castle. I was primarily digging the moat. Next time we really need to take buckets and shovels. :)
May I ask how much it costs for a weekend away in the resort? Thanks
I'd rather not say in such a public place. You can email the hotel and ask for a quote.
Post a Comment