Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Long time, no post

Wow!  It has been far too long since I have posted anything on my blog.  Keeping up with a full time job and a 15 month old boy will do that to you I guess.

I think about how my blog originally started with all of the quirky bits I was learning about my new home.  Everything stood out to me and seemed peculiar.  After 3 years, it takes a little more to turn my head.  I no longer stare at women wearing saris or hijabs.  I have become accustom to the sounds from the mosque as the call for prayer is made 5 times each day.  (It actually helps me keep track of the time without looking at a clock.)  Fewer things stand out to me.  That leaves me thinking.  Do I still stand out as much as I did?

In some ways, I have become assimilated to the culture.  I still dress in my very western style and my pale pigmentation is a pretty instant giveaway that I'm not a native.  However, I can great people in French and Creole and I no longer order my street food "sans piament" (without chile).  At the local grocery store the checkout girls recognize me and if my son isn't with me, they always ask about him.  I feel comfortable almost everywhere I go and am driving a 5 speed while sitting on the wrong side of the car and driving on the wrong side of the road fairly easily.  I get cold when the temperature drops anywhere below about 20 degrees (approx. 70 degrees Fahrenheit).  Yet, I am always very keenly aware that I am not Mauritian.

I still don't shop at the local market on Wednesday or Saturdays.  I wouldn't save any money by doing so.  One look at my pale complexion and the price always doubles.  When there is work to be done around the house, my husband always has to speak with the handy person doing the job so that there isn't any "extra" work done for a premium.  I am guessing no matter how long I live here, these things will probably not change.  I sometimes wish I had a special ID or a tag I could wear that says, "Not a tourist".  I wish I could tell everyone that I really live here, all the time.  I am employed by a Mauritian company.  I am not rich just because I am white.  But at the end of the day, I'm not really sure it would make a difference.  After 3 years, I still stand out as much as I did when I landed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mo Mauricien moi. donne moi prix Mauricien pa tourist

Anonymous said...

Happy New Happy. How is the cyclone Bejisa<

joe said...

Dear Katie

My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Mauritius and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The contributors on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joe Pinzone
Casting Producer
P: 212-231-7716
Skype: Joefromnyc

arcticfox said...

Just stopping in to say HELLO! And to add a new post to this blog since it's been so long since we've heard from you. When you were last posting, your son had just been born.. and he must be 5 years old. I'll bet he's adorable!

I hope all is well and that you can stop by when you're able. Your readers miss you!!!

Sherry :0)