Today the office manager here in England handed me an old cell phone and said I could use it while I was here. I went to the local cell store and bought a SIM card. Apparently it is quite common to do this in the UK. You buy the SIM card and then you use it with prepaid minutes. You can load more minutes on your phone any time you like. It's pretty cool and gives me a way to call someone if I have an emergency.
On the way home from the office today Don and I stopped at Tesco Extra, my new favorite place in England. It is like a Walmart Supercenter. It has way more grocery options that the local grocery store, Waitrose. I was really excited about it. So, when I am feeling homesick, perhaps I can catch a lift to Tesco and wander the aisles. One interesting note about this place is that there is an people mover that goes upstairs only, it isn't an escelator. It is like a moving sidewalk that you would see in an airport, only it goes up one floor. The wheels of the "carriages" or carts are made in such a way that you cart settles into grooves and doesn't roll away. Very intersting. :)
3 comments:
Ahhh...shopping makes me feel more at home, too. The people mover sounds interesting for sure. Do you feel like you are going to fall?
Wonder how Tesco got its name?
Miss you!
How do you get downstairs if the conveyer belt only goes up? Are you still up there?
The conveyer belt also comes back down (Kit)... you are not permanenlty stuck on the 2nd floor. Interestingly enough, you don't feel ike you will fall, it is not a steap grade, and the upward movement is quite gradual. Still pretty interesting concept.
Post a Comment