Friday, March 28, 2008

Driving Miss Crazy

On March 27th, 2008, I had my first UK driving experience. I drove Don and myself to work. I really can't explain how odd it is to sit on the passenger side and have a steering wheel in front of you. I think the most difficult thing is judging the left side of the car instead of the right. I managed to get us to work in one piece. No one honked at me and I didn't hit any of the cyclist who were riding in my lane. My only faux paus was clipping a curb. Luckily the curbs here are much shorter so it was no biggie. The really difficult thing here is that on many of the streets it is perfectly legal to simply park your car in the road. The lanes here are terribly narrow anyway, so if there is a car parked in your lane you have to play chicken with oncoming traffic. Sounds wonderful don't you think? Anyway... With time I am confident that I will master this new skill. Today, the 28th, I am driving home from work. Hopefully I will have the same success.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hope you are a pro by the time I get there. :) I may need a blindfold for when you play chicken!

I think that would be soooooo hard to get used to. Have fun! Be safe. And no parking in the middle of the road!

Anonymous said...

Hey you hotrodder. We knew you could do it. Next thing we know you will be driving a Jetson-mobile.
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Miss Curley hair.