Just moments ago, while I work, I noticed that several people straight across the building from me were looking out their windows and down to the ground floor of the Lloyd's building. Unless you have been inside, it's hard to describe the architecture of this building, but never the less from where I am on the 7th floor, I can see straight down to the main underwriting floor.
Anyway. Upon noticing these folks looking out the window, my first thought was... Don't jump! Obviously I thought this was comical because the entire wall is made of glass therefore you would have to break the window to jump. Joking aside, I began to notice that they were not the only ones looking down, and then my focus changed to the event occurring downstairs. Soon the sound of a bagpipe was ringing through the entire building. I could hear it distinctly and clearly through the glass. With all the pomp, ceremony and even costumary (not sure if that’s a word) that one would expect from England, a wreath laying ceremony unfolded before my eyes. I even got to hear the Lloyd's bell rung.
If you are not familiar with the history of Lloyd's this probably doesn't mean a lot to you, but for an insurance nerd like me, this was pretty remarkable... Let me explain. Lloyd's was originally a coffee shop here in London and folks used to gather there to hear news of merchant ships coming back and forth. Eventually, they began guaranteeing the risk or contents of these ships among one another and thus the idea of modern insurance was born. Well, at the old coffee shop, there was a bell that was wrung whenever a ship went down in transit. This bell is now housed on the main underwriting floor of the Lloyd's building and is wrung when major tragic events occur, such as the terrorist attach of 911. Inevitably it is a solemn occasion.
After asking my customer, I was told that Sunday is Remembrance Sunday here in the UK, much like Veteran’s Day in the U.S. As a part of that and the history of Lloyd’s, the ceremony took place today to honor all of those who have died in military service. I know that watching this ceremony will be something to mark my time here in London. I was able to participate in something most people never see in a lifetime. Because I was 7 floors up and through a thick plate of glass, I could not hear anything from this ceremony save the bagpipe music, the sound of buglers trumping and the single ring of the afore mentioned bell... I wish you could have been here to experience it with me. Hopefully I will be able to post a few of the quick photos I took through the window later today.
2 comments:
Wow! That is really cool that you were able to witness that. I can only imagine what that would be like.
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the photos.
Love you!
Wow Katie you do lead the most amazing life. I surely wish I could have seen it and am quite anxious to see the pic.
Post a Comment