Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving and the day after...


For Thanksgiving this year, I worked... How fun is that? The day was pretty much like any other working day, but to make it special, I decided to have one of my favorite things to eat here in the UK as my Thanksgiving dinner. So, after getting home from work at about 8:30, I walked down to the kebab stand in town center and bought myself a mixed meet kabob and chips. Let me tell you it was just as good as any turkey dinner I have ever had, and it left me feeling just as stuffed... See the picture of my meal... Yummy!


The delight of this meal sent me straight to bed as it was rather late when I finished... In the excitement of it all, I forgot to turn on my alarm clock, only I didn't realize that until this morning...
So, there I was lying in bed, fast asleep when I woke up... a natural, well rested waking up. I actually felt really good, then I looked at the clock... it was 7:00 a.m. To give you a taste of how odd that is, my alarm is set for 5:00 a.m.... So, there I was having slept in two extra hours. Instead of freaking out, which is a normal response from me, I thanked God for the extra sleep and decided to take my time getting ready. After all, even with the delays, I would be able to get to work before 9:00 a.m. Well, little did I know that was only the beginning of my movie comedy morning...
This past weekend, I bought a cute little outfit. A black top, a black and white almost mini-skirt with pleats etc (Super cute!) and a pair of knee high black boots. Now, if you know me, you know that I am no slave to fashion, so having a super cute outfit is not something I normally have... Well, I decided I would wear this new outfit today. Unfortunately I didn't realize that this outfit was a standing still outfit. By that I mean, it is only practical when you are standing still. Try walking or sitting down and you've got yourself a problem...
Anyway, anyway, anyway... This morning I put on my new outfit. The only difference between today and when I had tried it on at the store, is that today I decided to wear some shaping undergarments to make the outfit look nicer on... and indeed, it does look nicer with these things. The problem with all of that being that these shaping undergarments are practically made of lycra meaning that they are pretty slick on the surface. Well, I am dressed and out the door, but on my walk to the train station, I realize that the fabric of the skirt and the lycra of my shapewear are posing a problem... The skirt is actually sliding up my body with every step making it shorter and shorter and shorter. Now, if you know me, you also know that I tend to be rather modest and wearing the skirt at all left me feel a bit like I was going to a tarts and vicars party, but with the additional rise of the skirt I was feeling horrified. Luckily I had on my long pink rain coat today which covered up the progress of my skirt. Had it not been there I would have been giving all drivers on Monument Hill a very embarrasing show this morning. As I first started walking I thought that a tug here and there would leave the skirt in place and me covered, but as I continued walking I realize this was an entirely lost cause... Finally I just plain gave up. I had on my rain coat that was covering all of the important bits and I would just adjust the skirt when I got to the station... So, new plan in hand, I continue to the station... By the time I reached the station, the skirt was practically up to my armpits. Okay, so that is an exageration, but it had certain slid up way too far for comfort. I was left with the predicament of what to do... There was literally no graceful way to pull it down without giving everyone a show, so I remained dignified and just road into London with it riding high. I had to continue this way until I reached work and could sort things out in the restroom.
I think it's a good thing I have a sense of humor. And funnily enough as I was experiencing it, I was practically writing the screen play for the movie in my head. Surely this is the stuff of true comedy... I will do my best to snag a picture of me in this outfit so you can see how cute it is... But perhaps I will be thinking more carefully about when and how to wear it in the future. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie did you say that you purchased your outfit at the Bridget Jones Boutique??? Careful on your trip home you might land in the lap of a man on the train like the other lady did. Ha!

Sarah Mae said...

Oh, that made my morning! So sorry to hear about your skirt malfunction. Although you do look super cute!

I'm going to have to stop at some trendy store before I come see you or they'll eject me from places and keep you. :)