Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Shack


If you know me, you know that I am not one to get on a bandwagon. Music, a book, a movie... whatever it is, I tend to avoid things that everyone else finds "Amazing" and "Wonderful"... Even to this day, I have not seen the movie, "Titanic"... Too much hype.


While I was at home in October, several friends recommended that I read "The Shack". I was reluctant at first because it was the new "Christian book" that needed to be read. I don't really get into those things... "The Prayer of Jabez", "The Purpose Driven (insert word here)", the latest book by Joel what's his name.... These are certainly not books that have made their way into my library, because I generally find they are full of hype and a 5 step plan. What is interesting is that I don't really feel like God works that way. I don't think that God creates recipes and formulas for spiritual life. He calls us to respond to his Spirit. I don't believe that looks the same for every person. If it did, I am sure he would have written these formulas himself and he would have published them in the Bible. A 5 step plan for everything...


Ironically, I used to work at a Christian bookstore, so I always knew what the latest "must read" book was. As I got recommendations for this book, I was certain it was just another of these books.... I couldn't have been more wrong.


If you are reading this blog, you need to read this book. It is beautiful. It speaks truth in such a sweet way. It is a fictional novel, not something that only a deep theological mind, or "good Christian" can understand. It challenges some of the things that we think about God, but might be too cowardly to express. It is a good reminder of the true character of God.


If you can't afford a copy for yourself, I will be happy to purchase one for you. That is how much you need to read it... Don't take my word for it. Read if for yourself.


1 comment:

Becky said...

I borrowed "The Shack" from our library a few months ago. I had several friends ask me to read it and tell them what I thought.

For one, it was not what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised...I think it is good for us to read something out of the normal thoughts of God.

Second, I still think about when he talks about all of the beautiful lights. I can't help but wonder what Heaven will be like.

I think it was a thought-provoking book. Some people have railed against it, and to them I say, "Folks, it is fiction!"

But I think there is a lot of truth there...and it really challenged what I think about God.

Glad you read it. I am sure I will read it again.